Sunday, July 18, 2010

No Lemons but Still Making Lemony Aid

I often find lemons are expensive to keep on hand for everyday uses. Desperate for lemon juice one day last winter for a salad dressing, I searched my pantry for something lemony. I found a package of dry unsweetened lemonade drink powder. I decided to reconstitute it with 8 ounces of cold water and try the resulting mixture as a lemon juice substitute in my recipe.
It worked great and no one was the wiser. I have since used this mixture in many recipes calling for lemon juice; salad dressings, drinks, coating fresh fruit, etc. I store my "lemon juice" refrigerated in a glass jar, tightly sealed to allow for shaking before using. For just pennies per package, I have a ready supply of a great citrus stand-in!

Another use for the lemony mixture is making your own lemon wipes, using 2 tablespoons of the citrus mixture. Fold up to 5 or 6 paper towels, place them in a zip lock plastic bag, then gently pour the mixture over them and close the bag. Take them when you eat out or have picnics. They are always ready to clean sticky faces, fingers or taking food smells off your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment