Saturday, April 10, 2010

Unusual Ideas for Usual Items

When it came time for my mother to move in with me and I was sorting through her belongings, I found 5-6 boxes of denture cleaning tablets. All were different brands or flavors she had bought to try and found she didn't like. Not wanting to just waste them by throwing them out, I begin to look for ways to use them. It didn't take long for ideas to pop into my head. These are a few of mine and other's I have picked up along the way.

[1] Drop a denture tablet into a glass containing a cup of warm water. Follow that with your ring or diamond earrings. Let it sit for a few minutes. Remove your jewelry and rinse to reveal the old sparkle and shine.

[2] Cut flowers often leave a ring on your glass vases that seems impossible to remove no matter how hard you scrub. Give this a try. Fill the vase with water and drop in a denture tablet or two, depending on the size of the vase. When the fizzing has stopped, all of the mineral deposits will be gone and your vase is ready for more flowers.

[3] Does your commode have water stains in it, no matter how much you clean it? Here's a way to handle that job, easily. Drop two denture tablets in the commode bowl. Wait about 20 minutes, swish with a brush and flush. Sparkle and shine should be what you see.

[4] If you are like me and have hard water in your household, then you know how fast mineral deposits can build up inside your teakettle. Cleaning it was almost impossible, until I found that if I placed two tablets in the teakettle and fill it up with warm water and letting it sit overnight. In the morning, I could rinse all the gunk down the drain. Remember to rinse it good so all residue has been flushed out.

[5] If your coffee or tea mugs still carry stains. Place then in a sink filled with warm water and drop in 2-3 denture tablets and let them set, up to an hour, then rinse. Most, if not all, will come out sparkling clean ready for the next tea or coffee party.

[6] If you forgot to put last nights casserole dish in the dishwasher and it's now dried and crusty. Put some warm water in your sink and drop in a denture tablet, placing the dish in the water and soak for 20-25 minutes. Then wash and rinse as usual for a clean dish without the hard work.

My Mother passed away a little over a year ago and as I was cleaning my bathroom this morning, I realized her supply of denture tablets was almost gone. Now I have to decide if I want to continue using them by buying my own supply or let this memory go.

Faylee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Faylee, We are both participating in the 30 day challenge with Connie Green. I am originally from TN south of Nashville. Love to have you check out my blogs and if you like it would be nice to have you follow. Looking forward to keeping each other going through this blogging challenge.

    ReplyDelete